Chapter questions compiled by Ray Hammat
After reading each chapter in 'The Keeper', answer each question in as much detail as you can.
1. What do we learn about the following characters? What kind of people are they?
Â Joel Billings
Â Shaun Houser
Â Mei Pham
2. What situations have you been involved in, or have observed, at school that are similar to Joel's?
1. What do you learn about Zoe Trenwith?
2. What difficulties arise for Joel having to explain not having a mum and dad?
1. What do we learn about Gran's character?
2. How can you tell Joel knows a lot about fishing?
3. What is the ad Joel puts into the Sunday Mail?
1. Describe Joel's state of mind when he is confronted by Shaun (p.25).
2. Why do you think Joel can't ignore him?
3. Why do you get the impression that Gran knows Zoe?
1. Describe Dev Eagle's appearance and Joel's reaction to him. (P29).
2. Why does Joel keep this a secret from Gran?
1. Why is Joel proud of 'Sea Wolf'?
2. Choose one of the following:
Â Write a poem describing Dev.
Â Draw a picture of him.
3. What do you think Dev stands for?
1. Explain how Joel gets into trouble with Ms Colby. (Pp 35, 36).
2. What is Dev's reaction? (P 36).
3. Explain Joel's problem with concentration. (P 37).
4. What are the 2 ways Joel thinks of himself? (Pp 38,39).
1. "Why fight, Joel?" What are Dev's views? (Pp 42, 43).
2. Describe the scene of playing footy on the beach.
1. What are the things which upset Joel in this chapter?
1. What does Joel say about "keeping stuff in his head"? (p 49).
1. What new development regarding Zoe has happened? (P 57).
2. What questions arise in Joel's mind about Dev? (P 52).
3. Mini-assignment- "Dev in the Drink" (p53-57). Write Â½ --Â¾ page account of this, as if you were Dev.
1. What questions does Zoe ask Joel? (Pp 64, 65).
2. What responses does Joel give? Be specific. (P 64, 65, 66).
3. How does Mei describe Joel? (Pp 68, 69).
1. What does Joel reveal about his dad? (P 72).
2. What does Dev mean when he says Joel is a "smart kid"? (p 75, 76). How does Joel respond? (P 76).
3. What does Joel say about his grandad? (P75).
4. Joel asked Dev, "why did you come?" How does Joel respond to Dev's answer? (P 79)
5. What was the real reason Dev came? (P 81). what are Joel's responses? (Pp 81,82).
6. What do we learn from Mei about Joel? (Pp 83,84).
1. Why is Zoe so angry about Dev coming to tea at Gran's with Joel? (Pp 88,89).
2. What is Joel's response? (P 89). Explain why he reacts this way.
3. Why did Dev go to jail? (P 92).
4. What does Dev say about the prisoner who believed in God? How does Joel respond? (P 93).
1. What do you learn about Joel's past? (Pp 96-98).
2. Why doesn't Gran want Dev to be involved with Joel in the fishing competition? (P 99).
3. Write a letter to Gran telling her why you want Dev to do this. Tell Gran about him as if you were Joel?
Chapters 19 and 20
The Fishing Competition Write one page from either Joel's, Zoe's or Dev's viewpoint.
Â The preparation done by Joel
Â The catch
Â The results
Â The presentation
Â Dev leaving
1. How are the events of these chapters "almost an unhappy ending"?
To explain the main points you have learned from the novel in an extended piece of writing (min. 700 words).
Review the novel as Gran or an adult Shaun or an adult Joel. Explain what is discovered about the following:
Â Joel's condition-how this affects him and how he copes with it.
Â The mystery behind his family.
Â How he deals with problems and pressures, and how this changes.
Â Why the fishing competition and Dev are so important to him.
Â How the novel shows that positive outcomes can arise out of troubled situations.
Rough Drafts to be completed by__________________
Final piece is due on____________________________